Python History and Versions
python history - A simple and easy to learn tutorial on various python topics such as loops, strings, lists, dictionary, tuples, date, time, files, functions, modules, methods and exceptions.
1. Python History and Versions
- Python laid its foundation in the late 1980s.
- The implementation of Python was started in the December 1989 by Guido Van Rossum at CWI in Netherland.
- In February 1991, van Rossum published the code (labeled version 0.9.0) to alt.sources.
- In 1994, Python 1.0 was released with new features like: lambda, map, filter, and reduce.
- Python 2.0 added new features like: list comprehensions, garbage collection system.
- On December 3, 2008, Python 3.0 (also called "Py3K") was released. It was designed to rectify fundamental flaw of the language.
- ABC programming language is said to be the predecessor of Python language which was capable of Exception Handling and interfacing with Amoeba Operating System.
- Python is influenced by following programming languages:
- ABC language.
Python Version List
Python programming language is being updated regularly with new features and supports. There are lots of updations in python versions, started from 1994 to current release.
A list of python versions with its released date is given below.
|Python Version||Released Date|
|Python 1.0||January 1994|
|Python 1.5||December 31, 1997|
|Python 1.6||September 5, 2000|
|Python 2.0||October 16, 2000|
|Python 2.1||April 17, 2001|
|Python 2.2||December 21, 2001|
|Python 2.3||July 29, 2003|
|Python 2.4||November 30, 2004|
|Python 2.5||September 19, 2006|
|Python 2.6||October 1, 2008|
|Python 2.7||July 3, 2010|
|Python 3.0||December 3, 2008|
|Python 3.1||June 27, 2009|
|Python 3.2||February 20, 2011|
|Python 3.3||September 29, 2012|
|Python 3.4||March 16, 2014|
|Python 3.5||September 13, 2015|
|Python 3.6||December 23, 2016|
|Python 3.7||June 27, 2018|